Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Breakfast Obsession: Hell's Kitchen

I've been putting a new emphasis on breakfast and brunch and hope to author a few posts concentrating on these subjects in the near future, especially since the majority of this blog has focused on meals that occur later in the day. I'm really trying to get Cafe Maude as well as Levain's brunch in the next couple of weeks (I'll have to work a trip into my favorite, Zumbro Cafe, too!), so stay tuned.

I had brunch a few weeks back at Hell's Kitchen and was impressed with the operation they run there. The menu is diverse with some seriously creative dishes and I think it offers great fare that can satisfy even the pickiest eaters. The place was packed and everyone was having a good time (seriously lots of drinking going on for a Sunday morning), so I figured I was in for a treat - a serious underestimation. Jess and I each decided to focus on the "unch" portion of brunch by ordering sandwiches, but I had heard so much about their sausage bread that I decided we had to try some.


One bite of this majestic bread is every bit as spiritual as the most dramatic gospel reading and it's dense enough to serve as a solid meal on its own. Looking beyond the perfect texture, you'll find that the flavor is amazing. The thought of sausage bread is odd and the flavors are quite bi-polar, but trust me here. The sausage provides a savory hint, but isn't too overpowering. The finished product tastes much more like a really eclectic spice cake with an extra savory element. The walnuts, black currants and coffee combination pack in bold flavors that compliment the sausage, and is yet to be matched in any of my breakfast adventures. It was easily one of the best, if not the best baked good I have ever tasted. I'm instantly addicted and will have to get back there soon to calm this peculiar reoccurring craving. I'll be back at Hell's for sure and suggest that you check it out next time you're looking for a little pick-me-up or a good hangover cure!


Happy Eating,


-Teddy

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I, too, am a big fan of Hell's Kitchen. One thing you must try is their home made peanut butter. They bring it to the table with any order that includes toast. It is amazing. And, they sell it in jars -- perfect Christmas gifts for the relatives.

kat said...

We need to try the sausage bread next time we go too. Lately we've been really liking Blackbird for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

I just raved about HK's sausage bread on my blog yesterday! I moved back to WI and will miss it...

Cheers,

*Heather*

HungryinSW said...

Haven't been to Blackbird for breakfast yet, but it's on the list. I'm on a total brunch kick. I went to Levain last Sunday and it was awesome - more on that in my City Pages post this week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails